Email Marketing Delivers 4,300 Percent Return on Investment
According to the Direct Marketing Association, email marketing delivers a massive 4,300 percent return. As a marketeer with over 25 years of experience, I know social media tends to take more of the limelight these days, but with such great returns, I’m keen to make sure we don’t forget our loyal friend email marketing.
Around one-quarter of all email opens occur within one hour of delivery, so it’s important to ensure the email entices the reader to open it in the first place. Think of it as the reader trading their valuable time to read your valuable content. If the reader can’t immediately see the WIIFM – What’s In It For Me? – then, they will click the delete button.
So, here are a few tips:
- Does your from line include your company name or brand?
- Does your subject line include a specific benefit – the What’s In It For Me answer?
- Is the subject line less than 40 characters including spaces and 5-8 words long?
- Does it create a sense of urgency and scarcity? Leave out the word ‘free’ or exclamation marks as these may trigger spam filters.
- Is the content of your email meaningful and full of valuable information relevant to the recipient?
- Have you included ‘calls to action’ which the recipient clearly understands, so that you maintain interaction with your readers? For example to take advantage of a special offer or to give their feedback.
- Does your email content show the recipient how you can help them to save hassle, save cash, save time or all three?
- Are your follow up processes already in place? Handling inbound email responses effectively is as important as your first point of contact.
- Have you used spell check and properly proofread from the first word, to the last, including the ‘from’ name, ‘subject’ line and body copy. It’s always a good idea to have a few fresh pairs of eyes to take a look too.
- Have you checked that any email and web links work properly?
Thank you for taking time to read the article. If you would like to find out more, please call the Action Stations Marketing hotline now on 0118 976 2404 or leave your feedback and comments here.